Simply Calphalon Nonstick 12-Inch Omelette Pan

Simply Calphalon Nonstick 12-Inch Omelette PanThis all started when I bought America's Test Kitchen's book of skillet recipes. Reading through it, I realized I didn't have the proper tools for many of the recipes (including fabulous skillet pasta dishes where you cook the raw pasta right in the skillet with the rest of the ingredients). The recipes and the skillet buying tips told me that I needed two 12" skillets. One of them had to be a non-stick skillet that:

a. Was not over-the-top expensive, since all nonstick skillets do need replacing every so often.

b. Was durable and sturdy enough to last for several years with good care.

c. Distributed heat evenly.

d. Was oven-safe to -get this -450 degrees.

e. Was a true skillet with respect to the height and slope of the sides.

f. Had a cover.

It took me days to do the research to find a pan with all these qualities. This one was it -minus the cover. A bit of shopping around unearthed a 12" Calphalon lid designed for pretty much every Calphalon model EXCEPT this one. I bought one at Macy's and brought it home to try it on for size. It's not perfect, but for my use it's just fine.

You've got to try those ATK pasta dishes -and pretty much all the other recipes in their skillet book. They're wonderful.

(PS: For the other skillet, go with the All-Clad stainless with cover -I've seen some incredible sales on it at )

I bought my Simply Calphalon 12" non-stick omelette pan about 4 years ago. At the same time, I had just purchased the same sized non-stick frying pan from All-Clad (along with a 10" All Clad non-stick pan). I use my 12" non-stick pans easily 4 times a week. Over the years, it's been interesting to see how the Calphalon pan has out-performed my All-Clad! So much so, that I am now buying the 2-pan special (10" and 12" non-stick) from Calphalon today. My old 12" Calphalon has NOT worn out, but hey, I need two of these going at once on many occasions especially when I've got company, and do scrambled eggs in one, sausages in the other. During the same time period that I have used both my Calphalon and All-Clad 12" non-stick pans, I have noticed two key advantages in the former over the latter: 1.) the Calphalon has simply NOT worn out not one bit! This is the "Simply Calphalon" with only 2 coats of non-stick inside (vs the 3-coated Contemporary Calphalon non-sticks), and 2.) the size and weight of the Calphalon is better than my All-Clad. The inside bottom of the Calphalon is much bigger and flatter, enabling me to easily grill two cheese sandwiches side-by-side not so for my All-Clad. Finally, the weight and heft of the Calphalon is simply lighter and more ergonometric. With all these advantages to the Calphalon, I was convinced to invest in their next-level up omelette pan set: the Contemporary. I look forward to many years' worth of use from them, too. And as for my All-Clad 12" and 10" pans, I'm donating them to the local thrift store. I tried to contact All-Clad about the worn-out non-stick coating in my 12" pan, but they couldn't be bothered to answer my email. In short, their "lifetime" warranty is worthless, cuz you can't even get a response from them unless you take the time and money to mail them the pan first, then wait for an answer as to whether the wear and tear is what they consider covered by warranty.

Buy Simply Calphalon Nonstick 12-Inch Omelette Pan Now

The pan seems decently made, with a good non-stick coating and nice handle. However, with a glass cook top (smooth top), we are restricted to pans with truly flat bottoms, otherwise the pan will rock slightly and doesn't make good contact with the cook surface. Unfortunately this doesn't fit the bill.

Read Best Reviews of Simply Calphalon Nonstick 12-Inch Omelette Pan Here



I also got this pan based on a recommendation from America's Test Kitchen and have not been disappointed. It is billed as an omelette pan and I treat it as such when it comes to the utensils I use with it. No sharp metal objects and of course I wouldn't think of putting it in the dishwasher. That's a no brainer. There aren't many things you can consistently put in a dishwasher and not expect the intense heat and detergent to take its toll on the surface. However I did do some things I wouldn't ordinarily do with an egg pan. The first night I used this pan I fried a bunch of plantains (platanos) with a brown sugar based sauce to finish. This was after reading the reviews here on this page. I figured if this pan is really not worth it's salt this will be the test to prove it. The pan not only performed admirably and washed clean but my wife also used the pan for French toast without the slightest problem. This was not a fluke, this action has been repeated with the same results. And true to America's Test Kitchen's report the handle does stay cool and it is evident that it is built to last. I don't expect this pan to last forever but I do look forward to getting a lot of good use out of it.

Want Simply Calphalon Nonstick 12-Inch Omelette Pan Discount?



Having used this pan nearly every day for the last 4 years, I've actually worn it out to the point that it's "semi-nonstick."The sloped sides and depth of the pan lend it perfectly to many cooking uses, from cooking eggs to sauteeing or frying. Of course, I've always handwashed it and used non-metal utensils so the surface is not scratched, just worn out. My only complaint is that the handle transfers enough heat that use of a potholder is required. Because it's literally the mainstay of my cookware, I'm ordering a replacement that will hopefully last another 4 years.

0 comments:

Post a Comment