Cuisinart Chef's Classic Saute Pans

Cuisinart 733-30H Chef's Classic Stainless 5-1/2-Quart Saute Pan with Helper Handle and CoverThis Cuisinart Chef's Classic saute pan has quickly become my favorite pan. It's huge a full 12" across which makes it very versatile. The pan conducts heat extremely well and is oven safe to 500 degrees. The handle is very sturdy, reasonably comfortable, and stays cool (outside of the oven, of course). The lid fits tightly. Both the interior and the exterior are very shiny and attractive. All this and it's easy to clean. Yet this pan sells for just a fraction of the sexier brands like All-Clad or Calphalon.

The chief reason for the great price is due to the construction. This is known as a "disk bottom" pan because it has a highly conductive aluminum disk embedded in its base. The really expensive brands feature "cladding", where a layer of conductive metal (usually aluminum) is embedded throughout the entire pan. Although the cookware industry loves to say that disk-bottom pans are inferior, test after test proves this claim is untrue. After all, we don't cook on the sides of a pan; we only cook on the bottom. See Cook's Illustrated magazine, May/June 2003, for a great discussion of this.

There are a few reasons why this pan might not be right for you. This pan's size makes it fairly heavy, so if you have arthritis or weak hands, you might want to opt for a smaller pan. Similarly, this pan might not fit on those tiny stovetops or ranges that you sometimes see in "galley" kitchens in apartments. But if you want a large, durable, high-quality saute pan at a fraction of the cost of the big-name brands, this is the pan for you.



I'm tired of those non-stick pans that eventually lose their coating and thought that I'll try stainless steel pan for almost everything but frying an egg.Boy did I pick the right pan to start with!This pan, besides being beautifully made, is the perfect size for almost everything I cook.It's very heavy, but the helper handle helps.It conducts heat very well, so I no longer use the high setting on my gas stove or the food would burn.Despite being made in China, the quality is excellent.I'm sure it will last decades.My only complaint is that sometimes I wish the stainless steel cover is made of glass so I can see through.But, I'll still give it 5 stars because I'm very very happy with the design and quality.

Buy Cuisinart Chef's Classic Saute Pans Now

All my Chef's Classic cookware looks and cooks wonderfully well and is normally a breeze to clean up.This Monster pan is no exception.Weighing in at close to 10 lbs., it is the senior edition of the highly rated Cuisinart 3 1/2-Qt. Saute Pan.If you have a small range, the size of this (a full 12" accross) may crowd out some other burners, so beware.

I discovered thet the dome cover for the shallow Cuisinart 12" 'everything' pan also fits this pan and thus makes it a good candidate for a dutch oven.

Now for the bad news:Amazon did not see fit to ship this within a padded box.As a result, the pan arrived with a dent in the 'dripless' rim.I will likely not return it, but will give Amazon some 'direct' feedback.

(9/15 Update):Amazon made a very positive and 'generous' response to my complaint.Thank you Amazon!Also, both the 3 1/2 Qt. and 5 1/2 Qt. saute pans are on 'super' sale.Do yourselves a favor and buy both.

(9/23 Update):Because of the lower 'super' price (currently $27.99), I ordered two more as gifts.One shipped with the Cuisinart retail box packed in a nicely padded Amazon box and the other was shipped only in a Cuisinart retail box that had split open.Fortunately there were no dings or dents since this is a very sturdy, hefty item.I wonder if Amazon owns the warehouses its goods ship from?If it does, Amazon needs to try for consistency in its packing.

02/09/06:Here's an oddity:After several 'hefty' price hikes, Amazon is now hawking this 'monster' pan for $5 less than the 3 1/2 quart pan.Go figure!

Read Best Reviews of Cuisinart Chef's Classic Saute Pans Here

I purchased this product as well as several other Cuisinart cookware products to replace nonstick T-Fal cookware. The stainless steel mirror finish is beautiful and the pan just feels solid. I sauteed some fish and true to the description very little heat was necessary to heat the pan. I found this out after applying a little too much heat and crusting on some burnt cheese. Cleanup was a breeze with just soap, water, and a dishcloth. The handles are securely fastened and I expect them to last for years. This pan is sized so that you may use it for frying with almost a 10 in diameter or as an additional pot since the sides are nearly 3 inches deep. This was a good decision and a nice product at a good price.

Want Cuisinart Chef's Classic Saute Pans Discount?

I was reluctant to consider this pan based on it's low price.I'm glad I took the chance!I already own a couple All Clad stainless pans, which I love, but when I priced their 5qt saute pans I balked.In my research I came across this pan, read the stats and figured I must be missing something.The All Clad stainless 5 qt. saute is like $200!!This pan with similar features was $40.I ordered it from Amazon thinking I could easily return it if it didn't pan out.Well I haven't returned it.It's quality cookware.It's heavy, cooks evenly, has 2 riveted handles and comes with a tight fitting stainless lid suitable for use on other pans.I am shocked at the value this pan offers.

Save 59% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment