All-Clad d5 Brushed Stainless Steel Fry Pan

All-Clad Brushed Stainless D5 8-Inch Fry PanGot this pan for Christmas and have been loving it ever since. It was my first stainless steel pan so I made sure I knew a few things before I used it.

Always pre-heat the pan before adding the oil. Then add the oil and let it come to temperature, then add food.

I've cooked scallops using oil (clarified butter is better in terms of carmelization, but I didn't have any at the time) and the first one I went to flip stuck, and then I realized that the pan is so good, that when the food is properly browned, it lifts off the pan and allows me to turn it without sticking. Turned 14 other scallops with no problems. This pan basically told me when the scallops were cooked perfectly.

I seared filets using oil before putting them in the oven, and once again, nothing stuck and was easy to clean. The next night I cooked Parmesan crusted chicken breasts using clarified butter, no sticking. Seared two chicken breasts in oil tonight, once again, no sticking.

I also fried two eggs using butter in the pan. The trick there is to use low heat (learned that from Fernand Point) and you should be ok. But honestly, I'd use a nonstick if it was available because it just makes life a little easier. Parts of the egg will slightly stick to the pan so you just need to move them every minute or so, but the whites can tear if you aren't careful and then you are left with a fried egg that has the whites separated from the yolk. I haven't tried oil so that may fix that problem, but eggs fried in oil is unappetizing to me. So if possible, just use a nonstick man. But, it is possible to fry eggs in an All Cladd stainless steel pan (I actually did them over easy) and clean up was, once again, no problem.

Basically, if you keep to a few rules and make sure the pan is at proper heat, you'll never have an issue with food sticking. Clean up has also been as easy as cleaning a nonstick pan (besides that 1 scallop that I messed up, that took a little scrubbing).

Last few things it is solidly built, heats evenly, and everything else is as advertised. The brushed stainless steel is great because it is more forgiving when you wash it. Stainless steel that isn't brushed will show every dried water mark, hairline scratch, and everything else. It was an aesthetic choice, but important to me nonetheless as the frying pan gets a lot of use. If you are back and forth between the d5 and the copper core, while never cooking with the copper core, from what I gathered in my research, copper has to have a minimum thickness to have any effect, and the thickness of the All Clad copper core is not enough to make a difference. But like I said, that is just what I've read, which for me, was enough to not ask for (xmas gift) the more expensive one.

Please feel free to leave a comment if you have any questions or concerns.



great construction, truly pro version, very nice rolled lip, heats evenly at low temps, I most definitely would buy again

Buy All-Clad d5 Brushed Stainless Steel Fry Pan Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment