Joyce Chen 22-0060, Pro Chef 14-Inch Flat Bottom Wok uncoated Carbon Steel

Joyce Chen 22-0060, Pro Chef 14-Inch Flat Bottom Wok uncoated Carbon SteelA few years ago I tried stir frying and liked it, except that I used a Joyce Chen nonstick wok that peeled after two uses.After that I got aLodge cast iron wok that was way too heavy and got discouraged and gave it away.Then I tried I a no-name carbon steel wok but was very ignorant about how to season it and could not understand why it kept rusting.Recently I have had the urge to try stir fryingagain and this time did my homework.I chose this wok because it was carbon steel, and this time learned ahead of time how to season it properly.This wok is also very sturdily made; you cannot easily bend the wok if you push on it; the handles are not loose; it is 2 mm thick; it has phenolic plastic handles that stay cool.

I have properly seasoned and been using the wok with no rust or stickiness.Learning how to season and clean made all the difference.A good education and a well-made wok are an unbeatable combination!!

See some of ther other wok posts for good seasoning tips.I followed the directions that came with the wok and had good results.

I bought one of these over a year ago and have been very pleased with it. I had a tough time seasoning it. Only the bottom of the wok was turning dark, probably because my wimpy electric stove was unable to produce enough heat. I finally took the advice of a friend and turned it upside down over the burner, and that got the sides hot enough. (Be sure to turn on the fan and open windows when you do this; I set off the smoke alarm, not realizing how much peanut oil smokes when it gets that hot.) I'm not crazy about the plastic handles -I think wood looks much better -but they function fine. 14" is a great size, allowing you to cook enough food for 4-5 people, but still fitting well on a typical burner. The flat bottom of this wok ensures good contact with an electric burner, allowing the wok to actually get hot enough for stir-frying. This is the wok I'd recommend to friends, although I'd look harder for wooden handles next time.

Buy Joyce Chen 22-0060, Pro Chef 14-Inch Flat Bottom Wok uncoated Carbon Steel Now



I bought this in August 2006 and have given it a pretty good workout. So far it has performed very well much better than I expected given the price paid for it.

As with any carbon steel wok seasoning is critical. A well-seasoned pan is as stick-free as teflon, but you don't need to worry about the coating peeling off due to the high heat, or have to use plastic/nylon tools so you don't scratch it. Seasoning is not tough to do there are clear instructions provided with the wok, and you can find tips galore on the web.

Keeping it seasoned is also important. Don't use soap to wash the wok just use plain water and a scrub brush, and clean it when the wok is still fairly hot. Once clean, put it back on the stove and fire it up until all the water has evaporated. Every once in a while swab the hot wok with an oiled paper towel.

The handles are strong no wobbles whatsoever as of yet, and I tend to be a bit spirited when it comes to stir-frying.

Highly recommend!

Read Best Reviews of Joyce Chen 22-0060, Pro Chef 14-Inch Flat Bottom Wok uncoated Carbon Steel Here

There is a good method for seasoning a carbon steel wok by putting it into a 425 degree oven for 20 min. each time for 3 times.To use this method your wok's handles must be protected or removable.Good news! The plastice handles on this wok are easily removed.I coated the wok(removed the handles) with peanut oil both inside and out and placed it in the 425 degree oven for 20 min.I repeated this process 2 more times for a total of 60min.I got a nice seasoning all around and inside the wok.This wok is nice and heavy and sits stable on my electric stove.I highly recommend this quality wok. I have been frying beacon in my wok and the patina is becoming darker and the bacon is great!At least my dogs seemed to think so. As a diabetic,I believe I can improve my diet by eating fresh vegetables, chicken, and fish prepared in my wok. I would also suggest that you get a good wok cookbook. I purchased Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge by Grace Young here on Amazon.I think you will like this book also. It has everything you need to know about wok cooking including how to season your new wok. Many good recepies are included. Bon Appetite'.

Want Joyce Chen 22-0060, Pro Chef 14-Inch Flat Bottom Wok uncoated Carbon Steel Discount?



I've owned a 12-inch version of this wok for years and years, after going through a lot of other stir-fry pans/woks, and I love it. It's just the thing for cooking Chinese-style in an American kitchen.

The 2mm thickness is way heavy, so it's better to use a spatula-stir than to try to jerk-and-flip the food. However, that same weight lets the pan hold a good amount of heat on a wimpy western-style stove. Let the pan get hot before putting the food in for best results (for a stir-fry, the oil should look "shimmery" but not be smoking). Food will stick to a cold pan.

The stick handle (phenolic, square profile) isn't traditional looking, but it's very solidly attached, with two horizontal bolts at the base, and a screw-eye at the end. Because the handle is square, you get a better grip when tipping out the pan. I do have to tighten up the screw eye from time to time, but it's not a big deal. I tried the round wooden handle version (attached with two vertical bolts) and it never felt quite as solid.

The metal is very smoothly finished, and will season well as long as you don't over-oil it (lots of light coats is better than one heavy one). Cooking something starchy like cabbage the first few times will help. Don't bother with the non-stick versions if you really want to do stir-frying they can't be heated hot enough to sear, and every one I've seen has eventually started to peel.

The flat bottom lets the pan heat well on a flat-top stove, with no need for a wok ring.

People say you can't use soap on seasoned bare iron, that you should just use hot water and a brush. I actually use veggie wash this takes off any loose oil left in the pan that might get rancid, but doesn't damage the seasoning. You do need to dry the pan well after washing (inside and out).

Favorite recipe Thaw a package of frozen string beans in the microwave. In the meantime, put about three tablespoons of sesame oil in the pan, add two smashed cloves of garlic, about the same amount of pounded ginger, and a hot chili pepper. Carefully TILT the pan by pushing down on the handle this will make a deep pool of oil on one inside edge. Heat the oil and spices in the deep oil this way until the garlic and ginger start to bubble you now have flavored oil. Drain the string beans VERY well and put them in the pan (yes, it will hiss and spit), now sitting flat. Mix the oil in with the veggies, lower the heat, and cover the pan for minute or so as everything finishes cooking. Once the beans are tender (to your taste), sprinkle them with soy sauce and toasted sesame oil, stir around again, and serve. (For a simpler recipe, use a couple of shakes of garlic and ginger powder, and a few drops of tabasco, and put them in at the same time as the veggies. For a more complicated recipe, toast some sesame seeds in the pan before putting the veggies in).

Save 34% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment