Lodge Pro-Logic P10D3 Cast Iron Dutch Oven, Black, 4-Quart

Lodge Pro-Logic P10D3 Cast Iron Dutch Oven, Black, 4-QuartA small correction maybe, but it is still an important correction.This is not a Lodge "Logic" Dutch Oven as the title suggests, rather it is a Lodge "Pro-Logic" Dutch Oven.This is important because the Pro-Logic line is the newer ergonomic and stylish cookware.I bought this as part of the 4-for-3 program, so I only paid ~$28 for it.My Pro-Logic Dutch Oven is easy to care for and it cooks well for a wide variety of foods.I also own the original Logic design.While my Logic Dutch Oven is great, this Pro-Logic one is slightly better.Specifically, I like the two changes in the Pro-Logic cookware.First, the edge of the Pro-Logic Dutch oven rises up from the bottom at a smoother/rounder angle, so it is easier to stir with a spoon.Second, the handles are made larger, so they are much easier to hold onto.This is especially important when using potholders or oven mitts.The cover is also different.In the Logic version, the lid has drip spikes.In this Pro-Lodge version, the lid has a circular ridge.Both designs are to help evaporated liquid to condense and to effectively drip back to the pot.I have upload some pictures to show these features.

One thing which I do not like about Lodge Dutch Ovens is that they are preseasoned but done so poorly.I wish they either do a good job or simply oil the cookware and let the buyers season the cookware themselves, much like how typical carbon steel woks are sold.In my case, the original seasoned surface had an bubbled area.This indicates the surface underneath has rusted and indeed it was when I inspected it.I had to baked off the original seasoning surface, scrubbed it with a stainless steel brush, oiled it, wiped it clean, scrubbed it with salt and oil, cleaned it again with oil, and then finally applied bacon fat to season it on the stove top and then moved to the oven.The factory seasoned surface is sometime done incorrectly and removing the original surface takes some works.That being said and all, I am giving this Dutch Oven a 5-star rating.It is a solid cookware with good designs, inexpensive and high performance.The seasoning part did not bother me too much because I know how to do it, but I wish Lodge would offer a non-seasoned line of cookware

***Why bare cast iron Dutch oven over Enameled cast iron Dutch Oven***

I used to use enameled cast iron Dutch Ovens, but now I am a bare/regular cast iron Dutch Oven person.Enameled cast iron Dutch Ovens have their advantages, but I believe one of the advantages is overstated, that is: enameled cast iron Dutch Overns are easier to clean.Yes, if I am limited to a soft sponge to clean, then it is easier to clean an enameled cast iron Dutch Oven.However, I can clean a bare cast iron Dutch Oven more aggressively than an enameled one.I can scrub the bare cast iron Dutch Oven with a metal brush or scrap it with stainless steel spatula without permanently damaging it.I do not have that option for an enamleded cast iron Dutch Oven.I have to be extremely careful with the enameled surface.In practice, I find it much easier and faster to clean a bare cast iron Dutch Oven.

*Edit on 08SEP10*I have just noticed that Amazon has changed the main photo and the description for this item.Now it looks like a campfire dutch oven, which is not what I bought.

What is not to like? I love to crank my heat up and get things going, splash the wine, sear the meat, try it with teflon and you end up with chemical soup.

This is good old fashioned safe cooking, from the stove top to the oven, no melted handles, easy clean up, will last longer than a life time. I feel more comfortable using the little handles to take the pan out of the oven, have not tried the swinging handle version.

This is a great product at a great price, I could not find it cheaper anywhere else but Amazon.

Buy Lodge Pro-Logic P10D3 Cast Iron Dutch Oven, Black, 4-Quart Now



excellent product. use it for nyt no-knead bread.the lid fits snuggly, no sticking, no flaking, no problem.love it!

Read Best Reviews of Lodge Pro-Logic P10D3 Cast Iron Dutch Oven, Black, 4-Quart Here



(THREE AND A HALF STARS)First of all let me say I love cast iron!I have two skillets that were handed down from my husband's Mother and they have been seasoned for probably 30 years so maybe that has spoiled me.Slick as a whistle!!

Of course I did not expect a new preseasoned potto match those lovely heirloom pans that have cooked thousands of country meals.That being said, in my opinion, the"preseasoning" on this new Dutch oven is a little too rough (as in bumpy sprayed on)for my liking, and the lid was BADLY mottled on the underneath side. The lid was also not quite black and did not match the pot.For the price I expected a little better.I am now reseasoning it in my oven and I'm sure it will be great after some of the "roughness" goes away.I have used it three times so far and I have had no problem with sticking but I will definately work towards smoothing it out.Can't complain one bit about how great it cooks,BUTit seems to me that a smoother surface will result in better nonstick abilities. Therefore I am reseasoning the pot.Something to note as well is thatafter purchasing this 4 quart I noticed that the 5 quart here on Amazon is A LOT less expensive.I would have gone with that one had I done my homework properly.I can see how this 4 quart will be good for a lot of things, but is it worth the extra $$ and couldn't a gal (or guy)do the same thing in a 5 quart if you don't mind the extra weight?

Bottom line:I would buy the regular old unseasoned pot and season it myself if I could.Cook's Illustrated said that Lodge no longer makes the non preseasoned pans because more people like the pre-seasoned.NOT ME!Call me "old fashioned".I did read a review on another Lodge panhere on Amazon where the lady said to run it through the oven on the selfcleaning cycle to remove the "factory" finish and start over.

Want Lodge Pro-Logic P10D3 Cast Iron Dutch Oven, Black, 4-Quart Discount?



We originally bought this because we wanted a "pan" that is deeper for stir-frying. Instead of the chicken frier that is 3 inch deep, we picked this 4-inch deep model. And just like every other cast iron owner, we ended up using it for almost everything. Indeed, within a shortly one month period, it has already become our favorite cooking device, replacing a top-of-the-line calphanon non-stick and an claded stainless steel for all kinds of food: meat, eggs, tofu, vegetables, you name it. I didn't know cast iron can be soooo good.

Save 28% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment