Joyce Chen 20-1140, Pro-Chef 14-Inch Round Bottom Wok with Wood Handles

Joyce Chen 20-1140, Pro-Chef 14-Inch Round Bottom Wok with Wood HandlesThis is heavy, solid, and BIG. Lightly ridged sides keep food out of the oil. It's sturdy, well-made, generously sized -this is a real treat to cook with.

This is a rounded bottom wok. It's best used for cooking on a gas range. If you cook on electric, you'll want the flat-bottomed wok. It also needs to be "seasoned" they way you would season cast iron. If you do that, you will end up with a cook surface that cleans up beautifully. However, you do have to be aware of this when you scrub it clean don't use anything too abrasive or you'll have to re-season it.

I have been nothing but pleased with the performance of this pan. It heats up well, cooks beautifully, and the seasoning has made it lightly non-stick (just like with cast iron) and so cleaning up isn't a major chore. I heartily recommend this wok for anyone cooking over gas. I love mine, and I think you will love it, too.

I want to start out by saying that I've owned this wok for about 6 months now and it is still serving me well. There are also no issues with the metal or the cooking surface in general when properly seasoned.

My biggest complaint about this wok, is not about the wok, but those horrible seasoning instructions that is comes with! DO NOT FOLLOW THE SEASONING INSTRUCTIONS! THE PROCESS IT DESCRIBES IS NOT THE TRADITIONAL WAY OF SEASONING A WOK! Needles to say that process did not work for me. There are many instructional videos on how to season a carbon steel wok on YouTube. Do your research! There are many ways of seasoning, but none of them look like the instructions on the sheet!

The way I seasoned my wok:

1. I scrubbed the inside and out side of the pan with soap and an abrasive sponge to remove any leftover oils from manufacturing. ( this should be the only time you ever use soap in a wok without a non-stick coating! )

2. I boiled a good amount of water in the pan, like the instructions said, to help lift the oils left on the pan from manufacture and any leftover soap. (you don't really have to do this, but I did to be safe.)

3. Put the wok over medium to high heat until the center turns a dark metallic blue color. Once the center of the pan has turned completely blue ( I believe it take like 5 to 10 mins ) tilt the pan on its Side and allow its side to turn a dark blue color as well. Keep rotating the pan until the whole thing is dark metallic blue.

4. After the pan has changed color it should be ready to use. However, I didn't trust this. For a last measure of seasoning, you should stir fry a bundle of chives and sliced ginger until completely burnt. Using your spatula rub the chives and ginger on the sides as your frying. This helps to establish a patina on your wok, which will grow stronger the more it is used.

5. Enjoy.

Please do your own research into seasoning carbon steel woks. I have just posted my method for reference!

Otherwise this is an excellent wok! And has defiantly cooked some good meals! :)

Buy Joyce Chen 20-1140, Pro-Chef 14-Inch Round Bottom Wok with Wood Handles Now

I purchased this round bottom wok years ago and fell into disatisfaction after using it a few times, having problems with sticking food and minor rust problems I put it in storage. More recently after seeing a video on wok seasoning and care I brought my wok back into service. I learned that proper seasoning and maintenance is actually easy when you incorporate it into your cooking experience. While I wish I had a gas cooktop I still prefer the round bottom because the wok ring allows you to set the height and gimble the heat to where you want it. I've been making some of the tastiest meals I've ever cooked in this wok, and rust is a thing of the past. Do all your food prep before heating the wok because you will be cooking fast. The cleanup is simple. Just run some hot water into it and a quick scrub with a stiff bristle brush and dry.

If you really want to see the round bottom wok cook the way it was invented for, you can lay it in the bed of a wood or charcoal fire. It makes backyard parties and camping trips really taste good.

Properseasoning is going to make lots of smoke the first time, so be ready for that. Also be aware that the hot oil vapors can flash fire, so be careful. My wok is now a primary cooking implement and I've purchased the ladle and spatula to make it easier and faster to cook with. I rarely buy chinese takeout anymore because I cook it my way now. The wok is also great for reheating stir fried leftovers. The wok now has a nice blackened color to it and is frequently a conversation starter.

Wok cooking is an art form and needs to be practiced to make perfect, but "perfect" comes in many levels and stages. So begin with proper seasoning and be adventurous and experience foods in a beautifully delicious way.

Read Best Reviews of Joyce Chen 20-1140, Pro-Chef 14-Inch Round Bottom Wok with Wood Handles Here

Prior to buying this wok, I had been interested in buying a wok for some time. I did a significant amount of research and decided this one would be the best one for my money since a seasoned wok appeared to work better than a teflon wok and a round bottom also cooked better than a flat bottomed. I was a little worried that the handle might be loose according to other reviews, but I figured it would be something I could fix if it was an issue.

After I received the wok, I set out to season it. Make sure you don't use vegetable oil, since it will cause a lot of smoke. Canola or peanut oil works better. Also, it works best to heat up the wok to a really high temperature before applying the oil to a small spot with something like a paper towel and then repeating for each area. Using this method, no oil is ever sitting in the pot and it seems to work better for me.

While seasoning a wok was a new and challenging experience for me, I was able to do it without much trouble. The handle also proved to be fastened to the wok firmly without any issues.

So far I love it and have had no issues with it. Great product, especially for the price.

Want Joyce Chen 20-1140, Pro-Chef 14-Inch Round Bottom Wok with Wood Handles Discount?



Juat a "heads-up" for those of you looking for a nice Round Bottom Wok. This wok is listed as "round bottom", so I ordered one for use on my gas top stove. I specifically wanted a round bottom wok as I not only believe they cook more evenly, but I have a wok ring to use with it. Amazon suggested I buy a wok ring to go with this wok. When it came, it was FLAT BOTTOM! I was so disappointed, but ordered another (which shipped very quickly, thank you Amazon) and the second one was ALSO FLAT BOTTOM! I returned it, too. I am taking a break from the order-and-return cycle, but hope to shop again here with Amazon. I just won't order the Joyce Chen Round Bottom Wok...although the quality looks superb.

Save 7% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment