West Bend 84915 5-Quart Oblong-Shaped Slow Cooker with Tote

West Bend 84915 5-Quart Oblong-Shaped Slow Cooker with ToteI've been slow-cooking since the first CrockPots (in the 1950's? -time flies). I've used a couple of dozen or more during that time. Settings were all Low-High-Off, later adding Warm. No bells and whistles. Most of these cookers were very unreliable on temperature control. Except for programming capability, little else has changed in 50 years.

The West Bend Versatility series is a quantum leap forward: non-stick metal pot that can be used to brown meat (any experienced slow-cooker knows what a convenience that is!); converts to a griddle if you don't have one handy; and has an infinite heating control from barely warm to just-short-of-boiling.

Because I'm a gadget geek, I made some tests. (First, please be aware that most slow-cookers typically peak at around the same point --somewhere between 180-210 degrees F, regardless of the heat setting. The main difference between Low, Medium, and High is how quickly the peak temperature is reached. Some of the more sophisticated cookers (the Versatility is one) have lower or higher peaks related to the setting. For the serious cook, these types are preferable).

My tests started with the pot 2/3 full of room-temperature water. I used a calibrated thermometer probe in the center of the pot. I put the cover on, but it wasn't seated where the probe wire exited.

TEMPERATURE SETTING #3 (LOW)HOURSMEASURED TEMPERATURE

1:00157

2:00176

3:00180

4:00182

5:00183

6:00183

7:00188 (Flatlined)

TEMPERATURE SETTING #4 (MEDIUM)

1:00170

2:00188

3:00194 (Flatlined)

TEMPERATURE SETTING #5 (HIGH)

1:00155

2:00198

2:45209 (Flatlined)

I didn't do a time series on the #1 and #2 settings, but they topped out at 149 and 160 degrees respectively.

Remember that the Versatility setting is infinitely variable, so in-between heating speeds can be used. Also, bear in mind that these temperatures were measuring water only -cooking food may be different.

These ranges were relatively the same on both the 5-quart and 6-quart cookers.

Speaking of quarts, be aware that the "5-quart" has an actual maximum capacity of 4.3 quarts at overflowing. West Bend Customer Service still maintains that it's 5 quarts. The "6-quart" model is an actual 6-quart capacity. Practical capacity for cooking is, of course, less.

As other reviews have noted, there's no "off" setting, so you havee to unplug. However, the cooker end of the cored is unpluggable, so no big deal.

Other reviews have complained about the non-stick coating deteriorating. I refer them to the instructions in the manual, under the heading "Using Your Slow Cooker--First Use" wherein it describes how to avoid damage to the coating. I won't repeat it here -it's in the book.Also, note that while the coating is dishwasher-safe, it will last longer with hand-washing --a breeze due to the non-stick finish. Because so few users actually read directions, West Bend does not cover the non-stick under warranty.

All this said, the Versatiltiy is an incredible value for its price. It's a good example of how excellent design, engineering, and production can result in a quality product at very low cost. It's far and above any cooker I've used before.

4 stars only because it lacks an "off" switch, and the "5-quart" capacity is inaccurate and misleading.

Outstanding product and value!



This is my third West Bend Slow Cooker in 20 years.I got rid of my oldest one and now have two I use regularly. I ordered this one because it had a carrier tote; I take my slow cooker with me to covered-dish dinners and church socials. This is a nice extra feature, but I would have bought a West Bend anyway; I like the adjustable heat-not justhigh, medium and low. I use my slow cookers to thaw and reheat frozen foods,cook turkey breasts, and make soups.You can put ingredients in the cooker in the morning and come home to a hot dinner. This is a good product, easy to clean and can be used on the stove top or even in the freezer. I highly recommend it.

Buy West Bend 84915 5-Quart Oblong-Shaped Slow Cooker with Tote Now



I got this because of a friend's recommendation about a year and a half ago.I was expecting more of a Rival Crockpot type of device and when I first opened it I thought this just is not going to work well.

I am really surprised.It cooks well on the range top, the griddle part also works well as a griddle, and when you put the two together it also works just fine.

I made a pot roast a couple of weeks ago.I first browned onions, garlic and carrotson the stove top.Then I browned the meat an all sides as well.Took that out and tossed a little wine in to mix it all up and then put the meat, the onions, garlic and carrots and bay leaves, rosemary and thyme in the pot.Added beef stock half way up the roast, set it on the griddle base, turned it to low and let it go for about 6 hours.It came out just right.Everything done in the one pot and just the way I like it.

Way better than the old type of crock pot in my opinion.Lots of uses in one device and easy to clean up as well.Could not do better and it was not expensive.

Read Best Reviews of West Bend 84915 5-Quart Oblong-Shaped Slow Cooker with Tote Here

The only reason I can't give this product a 5-star rating is the color. (The picture on Amazon appeared white, the product box used for shipping definitely showed white, but the product is a matte-finish grey. I'm dubious about how it will hold up over time.)

I ordered this product to replace the same thing, received over 30 years ago for a wedding gift. And the only reason I needed a replacement was because the lower portion (element/grill) was lost in a move! All of the original item still worked when last used. I can't say that for any other electrical item that old in my house.

This product has been so reliable and convenient over the years for me that I love to give it for wedding gifts! It's the best way I've found to both brown a roast stove-top, forget it while cooking low on the grill with veggies or beans, and still take the dish to another location. The additional tote I now have with the new cooker will just make transport that much easier. And I frequently refrigerate the leftovers in the pan with lid. Reheating on stove-top is so easy.

Great product!

Want West Bend 84915 5-Quart Oblong-Shaped Slow Cooker with Tote Discount?



I have two and I love them...It gets used 2-3 times a week....Easy to clean. Put your meal on in the morning and walaa, its done for dinner..

The best slow cooker, I like the oblong the best...

Save 26% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment