Lodge Enamel 11-inch Skillet

Lodge Color EC11S43 Enameled Cast Iron Skillet, Island Spice Red, 11-inchThis handy little skillet is actually a HEAVY WEIGHT! It has the durability of cast iron, and the convenience of non-stick coating. I hesitated when ordering because I have had teflon skillets that would flake after a while, but this is not like the non-stick of old. It has a 25-year limited warantee!

Since I have an electric stove, it took some time to learn how to adust the stove because it retains the heat so well. I finally started turning the stove off the last 10 minutes or so. That works great for me. Also, if I'm cooking a steak, I sear it good on one side, turn it, and finish cooking in the oven at 450* for another 10 minutes. That's another thing I like...the fact that the skillet can go right from the stovetop to the oven. Careful, because the handle does get very hot, and also the skillet is HEAVY because it's cast iron, but it's a good heavy!

After using this skillet I can state that it has all the features of the French Le Creuset line at a quarter the price. No need to say more than that.

If you like using cast iron cookware you will be well served with this line of Lodge Enamel which however, unlike the original made in USA products, are now made in China. Though I prefer to buy American, I am so satisfied that I went ahead and ordered the Lodge Enamel 10 inch Grill Pan as well. These products have an enamel coating on both the outside and the inside surfaces and, unlike the original Lodge products, require no seasoning.

Cast iron cookware works extremely well on induction plates as the temperature can be adjusted in very fine increments and the entire pan heats evenly through magnetic induction without any hot spots. The combination of cast iron and induction yields great results.

Four stars instead of five as the inside enameling should be applied in a thicker coat to better hide the casting grain.

Buy Lodge Enamel 11-inch Skillet Now

This product is a nice idea but designed and executed poorly.You would be far better off buying a regular cast iron skillet and "season" it.I bought this pan thinking that the inner ceramic finish would make it a breeze to cook with.In fact, the "Use and Care" instructions that come with the pan make no mention of it needing any seasoning.The only recommendation was to use a little oil to prevent sticking.Don't get me wrong; I love my Lodge Dutch ovens.The quality of the ceramic finish on the inside and outside of the Dutch ovens is extremely smooth and provides a very stick-resistant surface.That's how I was suckered into buying this pan. Boy was I in for a surprise. The food surface finish is very rough.In fact, it looks exactly like one of their "pre-seasoned" regular cast iron surfaces, maybe even rougher.The first time I tried to fry some eggs in it (and they were literally floating in oil) the eggs stuck down so badly that I had to rip and scrape them out of the pan.So now I have an expensive, yet worthless frying pan that I have to be really careful about putting into water when it's hot and dare not put over a strong flame (such as a campfire) that has a "ceramic finish" on the cooking surface that is way, way, way, worse than a properly seasoned regular cast iron pan.No thanks.Sometimes you win by buying the cheaper brand (Lodge Dutch oven vs. Le Creuset) sometimes you get stung.

Read Best Reviews of Lodge Enamel 11-inch Skillet Here

I love cast iron and could not imagine cooking without it.I can not use my original Lodge on my induction cooktop. I wanted a replacement and an Enameled cast iron product was a great solution.Le Creuset is the highest rated however,a very expensive choice compared to Lodge.I was excited to find a Lodge enamel at Target and purchased mine about 3 mos. ago.It began chipping alomost immediately, mostly around the handle(s) and rim.Now large chunks are coming off the bottom.It is unusable.I am going to try to take back to Target and will purchase a Le Creuset as soon as possible.

Want Lodge Enamel 11-inch Skillet Discount?

Did extensive research before buying this skillet. Knew that there were some unhappy folks out there, but also figured there are ALWAYS people ready to give negative reviews about anything whatsoever. Plus, I'm pretty careful and conscientious in the kitchen; I'm not going to go banging this pan around.

Today makes one week that I've owned this pan. After using it all afternoon to make bechamel sauce on medium low heat, I noticed that there's a chip in the enamel, where the handle meets the body of the pan.

This pan has never seen high heat. It's been babied for the whole week I've owned it. And it's chipping.

On one hand, it WAS only 1/3 the cost of a comparable skilled by Le Creuset. (Trying to remain upbeat, here.)

On the other hand, there really is no excuse for this. I can see chipping after a year... or even six months of heavy use and occasional carelessness. But come on.... one WEEK?

It's disappointing. I wanted so badly to love this pan.

I guess I'll use it as long as I can and never get another Lodge ceramic enamel product. I wouldn't recommend this product to my friends. Or even to my enemies.

Save 33% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment