Lodge Logic L5SK3 Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Skillet, 8-inch

Lodge Logic L5SK3 Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Skillet, 8-inchLodge skillets truly are one of the last great bargains in cookware. I have several pieces in the Lodge Logic line, and they make my heart sing... the non-stick patina that's developed over months/years of use, the substantial heft of each piece, the rustic beauty, and most of all, that unmistakable delicious flavor that only cast iron can impart.

I recently added two of these 8" skillets to my collection. I had been eyeing them for my daily single-sized omelets (I plan to wait until the skillets are a bit more seasoned before attempting to cook eggs in them), but every day I think of countless new uses for them. They are perfect for:

a single, perfect grilled-cheese sandwich

heating up last night's left-overs

sauteing baby portabella mushrooms as a side dish for dinner

skillet creme brulee or blackberry cobbler with ice cream for dinner guests each guest gets their own perfectly-sized skillet

quesadillas

huuuuuge, perfectly-shaped sourdough pancakes, made one at a time (or two at a time if you have two of these handy skillets!)

crepes

tapas... get several of these for several types of tapas and serve right in the skillet

French toast for one

baked brie

individual-sized frittatas or quiches

skillet no-knead bread or cornbread

and so much more... I really wish I'd known about these when I was single. I would have eaten so much better! But, they come in so handy as junior companions to my 12" workhorse skillet and my two-burner reversible grill/griddle, I am happy to make up lost time with these little gems.

At $10 and change, I recommend you purchase as many as there are members of your family. Or if you're single, buy two... so you can impress dates by serving individual-sized appetizers or dessert! Then ask for two more for Christmas, so you can add a fun, gourmet twist to your dinner parties.

As with all cast iron, even though this is pre-seasoned, it's a good idea to season it again yourself before using. Generally you don't use soap or detergent on cast iron (and NEVER put cast iron in the dishwasher!!), but when I first get a new piece, I hand-wash it with hot water and a tiny drop of mild dish soap. Dry it thoroughly with a dish towel... then, to remove any remaining water that has been absorbed, put it on the stove or in a hot oven for a few minutes so that any remaining water will evaporate.

Then, coat with a *light* coating of grapeseed oil or organic vegetable shortening. Turn the oven on 400 (or higher, if you dare!) degrees. Put your new skillet into the oven upside-down and line the bottom of the oven with aluminum foil to catch any drips. "Bake" for 1-2 hours. Turn the oven off, then leave the skillets in all night to cool and solidify. Your skillet will have a deeper hue and glossy sheen that it didn't have when you bought it. This will make it a bit more naturally non-stick. The more you use it (or if you want, you can repeat the above seasoning process), the more non-stick it will become.

With proper care, cast iron will become your most well-loved cookware. I'm so excited to have added two of these 8" skillets to my Lodge cast iron collection and can't wait to come up with even more uses for these adorable, super-handy little skillets!

I cook for myself, so this little skillet is the perfect size for 3-egg omelet in the morning, or veggie saute for dinner. I am a small to medium sized female w/ skinny arms, but this skillet is not too heavy so I can still lift it w/ one arm. It's not really non-stick because the eggs won't easily slide off the pan like they would from a good new non-stick pan, but it's much much better compared w/ my stainless steel skillets. As long as you soak the pan in water after cooking, by the time you finish your meal, the food residue can be easily washed off with a brush or sponge. I use a nylon dish brush with hot water and cleaning is very fast and easy. I never use soap or steel wool. Leaving a bit grease on acts like re-seasoning. This is the same way I take care of my carbon-steel wok. The only complaint I have is that the handle is way too short. The skillet is relatively heavy but even with my small hands it still feels as if the handle only fits half of my palm, so it forces your hand to hold it really close to the hot pan really bad design. Though I use it everyday and find it indispensable, the short handle alone is why I am unwilling to give it a five star rating.

Buy Lodge Logic L5SK3 Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Skillet, 8-inch Now



After struggling with a set of three regular cast iron pans from a different manufacturer, I finally boxed them up for Goodwill.I never mastered the seasoning part of cast iron usage.I ended up with a sticky residue and one pan rusted.After about three attempts of scouring and reseasoning, I gave up and ordered three Lodge Logic Pre-Seasoned skillets.

It is fanstastic.It worked like a charm with the first use -no problems with sticking at all.I actually smiled while making my burger!My cornbread was also back up to Southern standards thanks to my 10-inch pan.

The 10-inch works well for cornbread and frying.(Actually cast iron is the only way to make good cornbread.) I use the 8 for single burgers.The 6 I bought out of habit, but it also works well for single burgers.

Clean up is relatively easy.Wash with hot water; Lodge does not recommend using soap.Dry thoroughly.I then heat mine on the stove top, turn off the heat, add a tablespoon of oil and use a paper towel to spread the oil on the entire pan inside and out.After the pan cools, I wipe away any excess oil and store the pan.

For anyone who wants a head start on leaving heirloom cast iron pans, I strongly suggest this product.

Read Best Reviews of Lodge Logic L5SK3 Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Skillet, 8-inch Here

I own 2 of these little pans, 1 of them for over 30 years & the other had been my mom's for many years beyond that.Had I known back then what I know now (how many times have we all said that?), I would have bought mostly cast iron instead of all the other cookware.It does take a little time to properly care for cast iron but it's sooooo worth it to me.These cast iron skillets turn out a great grilled cheese sandwich, too!Just use a lid on the pan & be sure to cook only on medium-low heat.

Several years ago my mom gave me a wonderful recipe (see below) to make cornbread on the stovetop in the 8" skillet using a lid, flipping the cake over once the batter looks almost done to cook the other side.You have to use 2 spatulas to flip it (the reason for using the 8" skillet).I tried flipping a 10" ONCE & found it takes a better woman than I to get that right!This technique makes a more moist & better cornbread according to my DH & me. Another added benefit is that you don't have to heat up the oven/kitchen.

In a small bowl, mix 1 cup of **self-rising white or yellow cornmeal, 1 Tbs. sugar (optional).In a separate small bowl, whip 1 egg with fork & stir in 2/3 cup milk.Add egg/milk mixture to cornmeal.Stir together just until all is moist.Melt 1 to 2 Tbs. shortening in skillet over medium heat.Sprinkle pan with cornmeal (not too thick) stirring to brown it.This will give you a crustier side.Lower heat to medium-low & add batter to pan and cover.Check batter & once it's looking a little more done than a pancake would, flip the cake using 2 sturdy nylon spatulas.I prefer to cover after flipping & it will be done in less than 5 more minutes.For crustier bread leave lid off after flipping.**Or use regular cornmeal with 2 tsp. aluminum free baking powder, 3/4 tsp. salt in place of self-rising I'm sort of guessing at these amounts as a replacement for self-rising.

If you'd like to read my method of seasoning cast iron, go to the Lodge Biscuit pan and read my review there.Lodge Logic Pre-Seasoned Drop Biscuit Pan

My DH laughs at me because of my admiration of raw cast iron, enameled cast iron and how I care for them.I now have 2-10", 1-12", the biscuit pan, muffin pans, as well as the Lodge Pizza Pan.The pizza pan makes a wonderful crust.If we have left over pizza, we melt butter in one of the larger skillets over medium heat.Put 2 or 3 slices in & cover with a lid.Reduce heat to medium low.It will take just a little patience but it will taste as if it were fresly baked.You'll probably stop warming pizza in the microwave.

Want Lodge Logic L5SK3 Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Skillet, 8-inch Discount?



Another reviewer mentioned roasted potatoes.I agree, this is the perfect little skillet for a single serving size of potatoes.Try this recipe for a late night snack:

1 baking potato

2 or 3 unpeeled garlic cloves, (optional)

1 pat of butter

Shredded cheddar cheese

Olive oil

Salt & pepper to taste

Wash potato and cut in half lengthwise.Cut the pat of butter in half and place in skillet. Put a potato half, cut side down, on top of each piece.Lightly coat the garlic cloves with olive oil.Place cloves in skillet.Place skillet in oven and bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes or until tender.The cut portion of the potato will brown and crisp.Remove potato halves and garlic from skillet.Carefully remove garlic skin. Make a slit in the cut portion of the potato halves.Add garlic if using and season to taste with additional butter, salt and pepper.Top with cheddar cheese.

I make this in my 8 inch cast iron skillet a lot. It's the perfect size for single serving meals and snacks.It also makes the best hash browns and since it's not that heavy and already preseasoned, you can flip the hash browns like the pro's!

The 8" and 6" cast iron skillets are also great for tapas. Set them on trivets and serve right at the table.

Save 16% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment